PhD Update #19 – Falling just a little short

I’ve fallen a bit short of what I wanted to achieve this week, however, overall I’m feeling pretty good about progress. In particular, because some of the initial evaluation results point to the “Webfuse way” having some quantitative benefits. Also, if the work in the last week get’s the okay from the esteemed supervisor it should make completing chapter 5 pretty straight forward.

What I’ve done

In the last update I said I would get a draft of chapter 4 complete and off to the supervisor.

Well, that didn’t happen but I’m just about there. Here’s a breakdown of progress on chapter 4 so far:

  • Introduction (4.1) and problem definition (4.2) – done.
    The e-learning@CQU post this week was the last part of section 4.2.
  • Intervention (4.3) – done
    This is where I spent most of this week and its covered in these posts: early section on why build a system and design guidelines and three posts on the design and implementation of Webfuse (1, 2 and 3)
  • Evaluation (4.4) – basically done.
    I’ve spent the last couple of days thinking about, preparing and doing some initial evaluation of the use of Webfuse from 1996 through 1999. Explained somewhat in three posts: early thinking, some more thinking and some early results and results of evaluation for 2006-2009.

    This is taking a bit longer because I’m essentially establishing the evaluation process that I’ll use in both chapters 4 and 5. I’m also having to grab the necessary archives so I can perform the evaluations.

    The structure of this section is essentially complete, as is the content. I’m waiting to see if I can get some data for a couple of years.

  • Reflection and learning (4.5) — nothing done yet.

What I’ll do next week

The overall aim remains pretty much the same as for last week:

  • Get a draft of chapter 4 off to the supervisor.
    This means completing the rough outline of section 4.4 – the evaluation – and leaving some holes for the data I don’t have access to at the moment. The main task will be converting existing descriptions of the ISDT from the Walls et al model to the Gregor and Jones one.
  • Get re-started on the remaining components of the Ps Framework – chapter 2.

One thought on “PhD Update #19 – Falling just a little short

  1. Pingback: PhD Update #20 – Progress, slowness and techno-rationality « The Weblog of (a) David Jones

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s